I’m a true believer (in John 17 etc), so yes.
But how? And what will it look like?
Well, only MCF (Melbourne Christian Fellowship)/BCF would believe that it’s going to be them, but what will it be?
Will it be
- Grassroots Christians just coming alive (more in quantity & quality)?
- Leaders coming together?
- More agreement on theology?
- Churches unifying?
- All of the above?
I don’t know. But Jesus prayed that :
they would be one as He and the FatherJohn 17
are one so that the world may believe that you have sent me
so it’s got to be something that will happen before the 2nd coming.
Guess what? I think it IS happening.
I was just chatting to someone over email about Christian unity and it struck me that:
- I’ve noticed (IMO) it’s getting easier to talk to most other (evangelical) Christians and find stuff in common beyond the obvious.
- The traditional churches are becoming more evangelical (except for the very ‘progressive’ churches which are falling away from Scripture).
- eg my sister’s Presbyterian church is on fire for the Lord and evangelism.
- It’s helped by (IMO) the fact we all mostly go to the same Christian bookshops and even normal Christians (eg Baptists and Anglicans) go to Hillsong stuff etc because Hillsong are not too nutty.
- It’s unifying the Body WITHOUT going MCF/BCF nutty.
It doesn’t mean that eventually some of MCF/BCF stuff wont come true, but what it means is that EXCLUSIVITY is not the way.
Definitely can’t be exclusive:
At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it.Matt 24:23
And it’s happening anyway. Without exclusivity. MCF, your exclusivity is cutting you off from unity and your lampstand.
There’ll be more IMO, but it starts with the fact we all go to the same Christian bookshops and enjoy the fact we’re rubbing shoulders regardless of denomination.